Delta Sigma Delta Logo


History


Two dental students (Lou Mitchell and Chas. Howard) at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry in Ann Arbor were invited to join Nu Sigma Nu, a medical fraternity. However, they decided to decline. Why should they join a medical fraternity when they were going to be dentists? So on November 15, 1882, seven dental students met at Mrs. Slattery's boarding house at #10 North State St., Ann Arbor, Michigan, and founded the first dental fraternity in the world. For a name, they transposed the initials of the D.D.S. degree, to D.S.D. and substituted Greek letters for the English. Thus, Delta Sigma Delta was born and the new chapter became known as Alpha Chapter.

Soon a second chapter, Beta, was formed at the Chicago College of Dental Surgery in 1885 by Dr.L.L.Davis who had migrated there to practice dentistry. Then a third, Gamma, at Harvard was begun. And so we grew!

After graduation these men became scattered in all directions but they strongly desired to maintain their associations and friendships of college days. This was the beginning of the Supreme (or Alumni) Chapter, which was founded in Detroit, MI in 1895.





Ultra Light Optics


Copyright © Delta Sigma Delta. All rights reserved.